Is aging in place the right option for you?
Learn how we can help with supported community living services.
Whether you live in your own home in the greater Harrisburg region or in one of the Messiah Lifeways resident communities, Messiah Lifeways’ community support services are available to help you or your loved one age in place in your home. From home care services and Adult Day programs, to rehabilitation and respite, our community support services provide care hourly, daily, or up to a full month or more in an effort to help you age in place. Our Age in Place programs serve Harrisburg, Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, New Cumberland, and the entire Central PA region.
Our professional team of housekeepers, care assistants, drivers, companions, and errand runners can help you live well in your own home.
Two Adult Day centers, conveniently located in Mechanicsburg and Carlisle, provide out-of-home care for loved ones who are unable to stay alone safely during the day, where they receive support and care in an uplifting and enriching environment.
Short-term rehab stays and outpatient physical, occupational, and speech therapy are available at Messiah Lifeways at Messiah Village in the Wagner Transitional Care Neighborhood.
Short-term breaks for caregivers, ranging from a few hours to a month or more.
A grassroots membership group focused on aging in place and staying strong at home. So much comes together…trusted help, friendship, social opportunities, and a friendly place to turn when there is a need.
What are some things one can do to prepare for aging in place?
- Call a family meeting to discuss aging in place options
- Create a family caregiving schedule/define roles
- Research aging in place resources and services
- Review finances and explore if insurance coverage or financial assistance is available
- Determine costs and affordability of resources
- Contact service providers such as home care and certified aging in place builders
- Create an aging in place plan
- Call a family meeting to discuss aging in place options...Strive for open and honest communication regarding the concerns, the hopes and the desires of each party if noticeable decline and health issues arise with an aging love one. Call a family meeting to facilitate dialogue, layout a framework and boundaries.
- Create a family caregiving schedule/define roles...Determine how each family member can help their aging loved one live safely and efficiently at home. Discuss the needs and demands such as transportation, medication monitoring, grocery shopping, meal prep and hands-on care, and how duties will be divided amongst family, friends, volunteers or paid professionals.
- Research aging in place resources and services...Go online, consult a social worker, or check with your local Area Agency on Aging about programs, services or funding available to seniors to help them age in place such as non-medical home care, medical equipment, or financial assistance.
- Review finances and explore if insurance coverage or financial assistance is available...Review your loved one’s finances and insurance coverage (such as health or long-term care insurance), and check with your local Area Agency on Aging about income and asset qualified funding programs such as county assistance or Veterans’ benefits that may cover community support services or home modification.
- Determine costs and affordability of resources...After evaluating income, assets and funding eligibility, determine what supplemental forms of care you can employ such as non-medical home, adult day services, home medical equipment or home modification.
- Contact service providers...Connect with service providers such as non-medical home, adult day services, volunteers, home medical equipment or home modification, and secure those services for current and future need.
- Create an aging in place plan...Create a written plan defining roles, responsibilities, scheduling, costs, services and providers to help with accountability and reference. Also include areas such as activities, socialization and transportation for a well-rounded plan.
Want to learn more about our Age In Place options? Request additional information today!