Media Contact: Katie Andreano (cell: 973.865.1742)
Last updated: Thursday, July 2, 2020 | 11:20 am
Dear Family Members, Clients, and Community Members,
In keeping with Messiah Lifeways’ commitment to providing the highest level of care for residents, we would like to reassure you that we are following guidelines from the PA Department of Health and the CDC, as well as working closely with our consulting physicians to prepare for any potential cases of COVID-19 and to prevent the virus from spreading to residents, clients, and team members. We feel that the best approach to this situation is to be responsibly proactive, which has affected all of Messiah Lifeways’ entities in a variety of ways. We ask for your understanding and cooperation as we all adjust to rapidly changing protocol.
Here are the latest updates:
At this time NO Residents have tested positive for COVID-19. Three team members have tested positive; all have recovered.
As you’ve probably heard, Cumberland County moved into the Green Phase of Pennsylvania’s Reopening Plan on Friday, June 12. While not a return to normal, the Green Phase does allow for some loosened restrictions at Messiah Village, particularly in Residential Living, but we will continue to take a cautious approach to reopening and follow federal and state guidelines to keep residents as safe and healthy as possible. Please be aware that Village Center is not permitted to reopen to visitors until at least 28 days into the Green Phase per state regulations. A detailed letter was mailed to family members of residents on June 12 giving an update and describing what moving to the Green Phase of Reopening means for Messiah Village. Click here to read it in full.
We have now completed universal baseline testing of both residents and team members in Village Center, as well as completed the targeted retesting process with very encouraging results. The last round of test results have been received and we are pleased to report that 100% of both residents and team members who were retested came back negative for COVID-19.
Since we are not permitted to reopen Village Center to non-essential visitors yet, Messiah Lifeways continues to work on creative ways to keep you and your loved one connected through this challenging time. If you’ve been visiting through virtual calls, we will continue to help you connect in this way. If you would rather visit using our new Connection Booth option, we are now able to accommodate requests to be added to this schedule. Please view detailed information about Connection Booths, and learn how to schedule your appointment by clicking below:
Here are some additional updates regarding changes to campus operations:
- Beginning June 12, non-essential visitors are permitted to visit with Residential Living residents, however, we ask that you limit these visits to outdoors or within the resident’s apartment or cottage rather than gathering in indoor common spaces. Additionally, we ask that you practice social distancing and wear masks whenever possible.
- Also beginning June 12, the security checkpoint is no longer in place and all entrances and exits to the Messiah Village campus are reopened for both vehicles and community foot traffic.
- All employees must continue to wear masks and undergo a health and exposure risk screening at the Village Center entrance before starting their shift.
- Family members of Village Center residents may make contactless deliveries of essential groceries and supplies by dropping items off in the lobby.
- Messiah Lifeways Adult Day is scheduled for a soft-reopening on July 6, but is not accept new clients at this time.
- Mechanicsburg Place: A Senior Center and More is scheduled to reopen on July 6 at a limited capacity and implement additional infection control procedures.
- The Wellness Center and Pool will reopen on a limited basis to Residential Living residents only on June 29, followed by community members at a later date.
- All Salons are now closed. Cerise Day Spa, & Village Commons Salon will begin limited appointment with residents only on June 22; Salon at Compass Pointe will remain closed until further notice.
- Pathways Institute is offering a limited number of courses through Zoom. Click here for details.
- Messiah Village Church services have been canceled through at least July 10, but are being pre-recorded and broadcast on MVTV.
- Shuttle service throughout the Messiah Village campus has been suspended.
- Dining venues at Messiah Village are closed for in-person seating, and residents should call-in orders ahead of time for contactless delivery or take out.
- Our Enrichment team has developed creative ways to provide activities for residents while promoting social distancing. This includes a robust schedule on MVTV and video chats with loved ones.
We recommend following CDC guidelines to stay healthy and help prevent the spread of the virus by visiting CDC.gov.
If you have any specific questions or concerns, you may leave a message on Messiah Lifeways’ hotline (717.591.7249) and our Infection Preventionist will return your call as quickly as possible.
Residential Living Residents should call 717.591.7252 for latest updates, and to leave a message.
You can help by sending notes of encouragement to residents and team members! Send your notes to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will place them as slides on our in-house TV system, MVTV, and post them on our online portal. Children are encouraged to draw pictures as well! Photos and selfies also welcome! Messages should be kept to 2-3 lines (around 50 words) for optimal viewing.
Thank you for helping us keep everyone as safe and healthy as possible. This blog post will be updated as more information becomes available. Thank you.